|page 1 ›|
Portrait of a French Lady, Alexander Roslin
What would it look like if you took 18th century reenactors and did a photoshoot in the style of Vogue or Glamour. That’s what they asked at Colonial Williamsburg, and this was the result.
Actor-interpreter Dennis Watson wears a yellow-silk floral-embroidered coat and breeches with a coordinated white-silk satin waistcoat. The embroidery pattern is taken from a purple-silk court suit in Colonial Williamsburg’s collections.
Actor-interpreter Scott Green wears a lace ruffled shirt and stock under pink satin smallclothes with a purple taffeta coat embellished in silver embroidery and spangles. The embroidery design is taken from a suit in Colonial Williamsburg’s collections.
Ken Treese, patternmaker at Colonial Williamsburg’s Costume Design Center, sports regalia constructed for an interpretation of Lord Cornwallis for the event “Under the Redcoat.” The British major general’s uniform is a regimental coat of red wool broadcloth faced with blue and embroidered in gold, a military cocked hat trimmed with gold lace and black-silk satin bow cockade, a pair of gold embroidered epaulettes with gold bullion fringe, buff linen smallclothes, black silk neck stock, and smallsword.
Journeyman silversmith Preston Jones in re-created livery from Virginia Governor Dunmore’s household—robin’s-egg-blue wool broadcloth waistcoat and coat trimmed in silver with brown wool broadcloth cuffs, collar, and breeches.
7th (Queen’s Own) Hussars officer’s field tunic and pouch, c.1850s
Elisabeth of Austria Queen of France van Straeten by Joris van der Straeten, 1573
Richelieu, for the cats.
- Recite a poem.
- Read the first page to one of your favorite books.
- Read the little blurb on the back of your shampoo bottle.
- Do a tongue-twister.
- Say something in a different language.
- Share an anecdote.
Do the rains in Spain stay mainly on the plains?
- Summarize the last film/TV episode you watched.
- Let us hear your ringtone and text message sound.
- Tell a joke.
- What did you have to eat today?
- Talk about something that really scares you.
- Talk about something that makes you happy.
- What is your favorite word?
- What is your least favorite word?
- What turns you on?
- What turns you off?
- What sound or noise do you love?
- What sound or noise do you hate?
- What is your favorite curse word?
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
- What profession would you not like to do?
- If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
- If you’re brave enough, singing us a little song.
25. Ask me a question of your choice.
The Many Faces of Marie Antoinette:
By Adolf Ulrik Wertmuller
Woman in French Garde du Corps uniform, around 1787.